Wednesday 7 March 2018

Let's Chaat!


If you desire escapism from a hard day’s work, then Chana Chaat is what you should be having! Although this dish makes me reminisce on those days of my taste buds being tantalised with the seasoned and spiced chickpeas, it also reminds me of the long days of fasting during Ramadan. This dish is appropriate for every occasion. Whether it’s Eid, Ramadan, a family get together, weddings or just on your own. This dish wins the hearts of everybody. I come from a family of Chaat lovers. If Chaat has been made, then you will see the kids come away from their homework, the people in the kitchen dash to the dining table and everybody else will literally stop what they’re doing to enjoy the moment.

I went into my kitchen today to find a large bowl of Chana Chaat made for my sister’s birthday party. The flavoured chickpeas and potatoes were mixed with Papri flakes, soaked in tamarind sauce and wrapped in the cool set yoghurt sprinkled with Chaat masala along with garnished onions and coriander.

Shezad Hussain says in his cookbook, Food and Cooking of Pakistan, that “This mouthwatering snack has a crunch texture because of the paapri and sev and, like most chaats, it is eaten all over the country, especially in Punjab and Karachi and during Ramadan.” By this, Shezad means that Chaat is something that is eaten by everybody in Pakistan. In this way, Food plays a huge part in Pakistani Identity. Dishes such as Chana Chaat are conventional to Pakistani people and it is what they are accustomed to. This dish is an excuse for Pakistani family and friends to meet up, because it is something that they are all familiar with and love eating!

I did manage to get picture of the Chana Chaat before I gobbled it all up!
 
Portion of Chana Chaat

Reference:
The Food and Cooking of Pakistan: Traditional Dishes from the Home Kitchen – Shezad Hussain Lorenz Books; 1st Edition edition (30 Nov. 2016)

1 comment:

  1. From coming from the same background your post reminds me of my childhood and also my family heritage! I love the way you have included family recipes and you have cleverly come up with your title to fit in with your blog post!

    ReplyDelete